Thursday, August 20, 2009

Meet Tiffanie!

Meet Tiffanie, owner of the Etsy shop Dragonfly Designs by TH. Tiffanie makes beautiful handmade bags, many of which include techniques like quilting and embroidery. Read on to find out more about Tiffanie and her crafty life!

Describe your studio and way you create. Organized/random/while watching
TV?, etc.
I do all my sewing in my sewing studio. I really just added a desk with my sewing machine and a huge drafting table to my kitchen nook. All of my hand sewing and knitting is done in front of the TV after the kids are asleep.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I often go through my hoard of craft supplies and challenge myself to “see” a masterpiece in the pile of fabric, trim, and junk. I really feel a lot of pride in a piece when I feel like I am keeping stuff out of a landfill. That is how many of my favorite items were “born”.

Do you remember your first craft/art project that you did? Tell us about
it.
When I was little my grandmother took care of us after school pretty often. She has always sewn and made things. She taught me to embroider and I made an owl for my mom. It was just on a piece of muslin and I haven’t seen it since. I suspect I will find it packed away in a keepsake box one day. My mom NEVER throws out the treasures any of us give her.

What's your favorite thing about Etsy? Are there any other shops you are
totally addicted to?
I love Alchemy! I have been able to get a lot of things from other people. I also find that bidding can get the creative juices flowing. Even if I pitch an idea that doesn’t get a sale, I can still make the item and get out of any craft rut.

What is your most exciting sale that you ever made?
A bride really loved my blue zebra handbag and wanted 6 exactly alike. It was a huge order for me.

What is one craft technique you've always wanted to try but haven't gotten around to?
Mosiac! I’ve always wanted to do it but I’ve never gotten my stuff together.

What do you do when you need to get out of a crafting rut?
I try something new! I go through periods where I make something in one technique (knitting, embroidery, sewing,etc) and then I put it down and do something else for a while. I’m presently in on an embroidery kick.

What are your long term goals for your Etsy shop? (1 year +)
My goal has been to make enough to pay for my daughters’ dance classes. That is really the biggest goal since my kids are still pretty little. So far, it is working!

What is your most cherished handmade possession?
Unfortunately, no one makes me anything anymore because they figure I can make it myself! However, do have a beautiful moonstone necklace that my husband bought me at a gallery in Monterey on our honeymoon. *BTW, I don’t make a lot of things and I am accepting gifts at this time. J

How does being crafty affect those around you?
My husband gets a little cranky now and again ‘cause I have craft stuff all over the living room. It drives him nuts to see unfinished projects sitting around on the mantle. I’m a little ADD when it comes to crafting.

How do you share your love for crafting with your family?
My 6 year old loves to do anything crafty. We do a lot of little kits and I’ve been trying to teach her to knit. She says she wants to have a shop on Etsy too!

What's the favorite thing you've ever made for your shop?
The hand embroidered dragonfly tote is by far my favorite. I really want it for myself! If it doesn’t sell soon, I’ll probably take it for myself.

Hope everyone enjoyed Tiffanie's Featured Seller interview! We'll be featuring more of our CenCal Etsy Team members in the coming weeks, so be sure to check back!


Thanks for reading! ~Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics